I had some extra frosting left over from my strawberry cream cheese cupcakes, and before I used a spoon to scoop it into my mouth, I baked up a batch of sugar cookies to make these yummy frosting-filled sandwiches.
Sugar cookies have always been my favorite. They used to give out free sugar cookies at the bakery of the supermarket. While the other kids would skulk at them, wishing they were chocolate or something fancier, I always felt like I struck gold. I love the pure taste of sugar and vanilla, chewy while it melts in your mouth.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Sandwiches
Makes 2 dozen
Sugar Cookie Ingredients:
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, cut into 2cm pieces, room temperature
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 egg, room temperature
2tsp vanilla extract
450 grams cream cheese, room temperature
100 grams butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
2tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped strawberries
1. Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla. Beat until incorporated. Add in the flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing until just incorporated each time.
3. Roll dough into equally-sized balls about 2.5cm in diameter and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper spaced 10cm apart or more. Bake for 8 minutes, or just before the cookies turn golden. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
4. Make the frosting: In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add vanilla extract and mix for 5 seconds. Slowly add confectioners sugar and mix thoroughly. Add strawberries and mix until incorporated. (Don’t worry if the frosting slightly curdles after adding the strawberries. Keep mixing until the frosting goes back to a fluffy texture.)
5. Assemble: Put frosting into a pastry bag with a extra large tip. Pipe frosting generously onto the back of one cookie and place another cookie on top. Repeat for the remaining cookies.